ILLINOIS CENTRAL BLUES CLUB 10th ANNUAL BLUES CHALLENGE
BANDS And SOLO/DUO Acts Application Deadline: July 29, 2016
The Club will be conducting the 10th Annual Blues Challenge during the Old Capitol Blues & BBQ, August 27, 2016 on the main stage of the Old Capitol Blues & BBQ Festival, beginning at 5:00 pm. The winner of the band challenge will represent the Club at the Blues Foundation’s 33rd International Blues Challenge, scheduled to take place January 31, 2017 – February 4, 2017 in Memphis, TN.
The Illinois Central Blues Club, “ICBC”, is announcing a “Call For Bands and Solo/Duo Acts” to compete in the 2016 Illinois Central Blues Club’s Challenge to be conducted on the Main Stage of the Old Capitol Blues & BBQ Festival held in downtown Springfield, Illinois, August 27, 2016. The Old Capitol Blues & BBQ is Springfield’s best festival and we believe that this year will be bigger and better than ever. In addition of having the chance to advance to the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, acts will be playing the Main Stage at this great festival. The competition is the “opening act” for the evening’s headliners.
Approximate competition start time will be 4:00 pm. (Start time may change based on the number of acts entered in the completion. Acts should take this into account when making travel plans.)
Bands included in the Challenge will play a 25 minute competition time slot on the evening of August 27, 2016, prior to the Main Stage headliners. The ICBC reserves the right to change the format depending on the number of bands participating. Time slots will be chosen by a random drawing to be held during a participant’s meeting for at the Alamo, 115 S. 5th, Springfield, IL on a date and time to be announced to all challenge participants. Sound and *backline will be provided and all artists will use the backline provided (see Staging and Equipment below). Judges for the competition will be comprised of individuals knowledgeable in the blues genre. The decisions of the judges are final. The President of the ICBC will automatically serve as a judge at their discretion. Judging criteria is the same as the criteria the Blues Foundation uses for the 33rd International Blues Challenge to be held January 31-February 4, 2017 in Memphis, TN. NOTE: The International Blues Challenge is a 4 day competition, acts that participate will play at least the first 2 evenings of the competition.
The winner of the band Challenge will win a cash prize of at least **$1000.00 as well as being guaranteed the opportunity to open for the headliner at the ICBC’s 31st Birthday Party. (**The funds for the cash prize will be raised at a fundraiser for the act that the winning act is expected to perform at.)
The winner of the Solo/Duo Challenge will win a cash prize of at least **$500.00. (**The funds for the cash prize will be raised at a fundraiser for the act that the winning act is expected to perform at.)
In the event an ICBC is unable to attend the International Blues Challenge, the cash prize will be forfeited in its entirety. Cash prizes will be given to the artist the week before the International Blues Challenge.
The ICBC will utilize the same Eligibility and Scoring Criteria as the Blues Foundation.
- Entries must be accompanied by a jpeg photo and an act biography. ( black & white photos are preferred but not required, Electronic format is acceptable as long as photo is 150 dpi or higher.
- Entries must be accompanied by a CD of the act. (recording quality/picture quality are not considered in selecting and only the first 3 songs on a CD will be considered)
- Entries must be accompanied by a $25 entry fee. (Fee will be returned if your band is not selected to compete in the challenge. Bands that withdraw from competition after the sign-up deadline will lose their entire entry fee.)
- If winning act is not able to perform in the International Blues Competition, all prize monies will be forfeited.
- Your signature is a guarantee of performance. Do not sign if you have a conflict with the date of the competition. You will be notified of your actual performance time as soon as the selection process is complete.
- At least one member of the act must be a member of the ICBC.
- All decisions of the judges are FINAL.
- Click Here to download the for Rules and Registration
All Entries must be POSTMARKED no later than July 29, 2016.